Oh, China! meets the needs of advanced beginners or heritage learners who already speak some Chinese but require instruction in reading and writing fundamentals before moving to the intermediate level. In this fully revised edition, state-of-the-art lessons go over the basics of standard Mandarin pronunciation and introduce students to Chinese characters. The textbook moves at a faster pace than those designed for absolute beginners and allows students to rapidly develop strong foundations in grammar and vocabulary. It contains topics that are especially relevant to heritage learners, such as growing up in a bilingual, bicultural environment, and exposes students to essential issues for understanding contemporary China today, including economic development and political relations with Taiwan.
This essential of Chinese language learning contains updated lessons, grammar notes, and exercises, and its new user-friendly format juxtaposes text and vocabulary on adjacent pages.
- Updated and revised edition
- Designed for advanced beginners who already speak some Chinese
- Offers strong foundations in pronunciation, characters, and grammar
- Covers topics relevant to heritage speakers and contemporary Chinese society
- Single volume user-friendly format